The Morning After

Danyel Smith Speaks About VIBE Closing Shop

vibe

I had a surprise visit this morning from Danyelliott (Danyel Smith and Elliott Wilson) and discussed what really happened when Vibe Magazine shut its doors. It’s still a painful and emotional topic for Danyel, who was the editor-in-chief at the time, and she stated that she still has the last issue in a box at home, but looking at it is too difficult.

Did you see that coming, that Vibe was going out of business?
“The magazine business overall has been in such a state, frankly since I came back 3 years ago. I always had it at the front of my mind. Was it a complete surprise to me that day… no I don’t think it was for any of my fantastic staff.”

There were already some cutbacks though?
“We had already gone down to 4 days a week … we were all making sacrifices because we really wanted the brand to live. We were all strategizing and working really hard and I’m just really really brokenhearted. There’ll be a bounceback, there’s no question about that.”

She also described the “vibe” at the Christina Milian/The Dream cover shoot where the couple were completely in love, “They were all up on each other, huggy huggy kissy kissy,” AND shooting the Lil Wayne/Kobe Bryant spread.

I probed in to the severance package situation, which I heard was disappointing at first, but Danyel said there was someone who was working very hard to make it better. I know I would love to see that 16th Anniversary issue, since I was supposed to be in it…

As for Danyel’s future plans, I’m sure she has tons of options but Elliott, can you let her take the summer off to be a housewife? Thanks sir!

21 comments for “Danyel Smith Speaks About VIBE Closing Shop”

1. I think Angela is bad luck, everytime she’s about to be featured in a magazine they fold. First King, now Vibe. Watch out XXL.

Posted by The Kid Scott | July 18, 2009, 1:20 pm
  2. Let me just say that I’ve had a subscription to vibe since they first came out when Quincy Jones had the magazine, but I noticed some shady stuff coming from that magazine over the past 3-4 years or so. I would pay for a two year subscription and I would receive a renewal every year telling me my subscription was up. They were taking our money and not doing what they were suppose to do. Then they knew they were going under and took subscription money this year, I want my damn money back because I only renewed because Daniel said a couple months back that they were not closing. Where is my money????

Posted by Tracey | July 18, 2009, 2:20 pm
  3. [...] Find the two-part audio below. Props to TeamYee [...]

Posted by Nah Right » Danyel Smith Speaks on VIBE w/ Angela Yee & YN | July 18, 2009, 3:40 pm
  4. [...] Find the two-part audio below. Props to TeamYee [...]

Posted by Music News, IOmusic.net » Danyel Smith Speaks on VIBE w/ Angela Yee & YN | July 18, 2009, 6:04 pm
  5. Angela Yee was already featured in XXL she was apart of the SHADE45 issue back in August of ’05

Posted by BitchImME! | July 19, 2009, 12:02 am
  6. [...] here to [...]

Posted by FORMER VIBE EDITOR-IN-CHIEF DANYEL SMITH TALKS ABOUT THE NOW DEFUNCT PUBLICATION « MAD NEWS | July 19, 2009, 8:28 am
  7. Well thank you Ms. Bitchimme for clearing that up. In that case, The Source better watch out. O wait, Angela’s featured in the “Power 30″ issue with T.I. on the cover. Cop now before there gone!

Posted by The Kid Scott | July 19, 2009, 11:19 am
  8. Too bad we needed a voice like Vibe. Maybe the next “Urban Mag” could be less flossy, more informative and less BET on paper.(No shots!)

Posted by Sound Vertie | July 22, 2009, 7:12 am
  9. Nice site. go to my favorites. TNx

Posted by electromozzo | July 28, 2009, 12:18 am
  10. Hi, good post. I have been woondering about this issue,so thanks for posting. I’ll definitely be coming back to your site.
    teamyee.tv – cool!!!!

Posted by MishaPowerauto | July 28, 2009, 9:06 pm
  11. Hey, if I were currently immersed in writing a book explaining set theory, it would have sounded like that to me too, I’m sure.

Posted by SergeyNikolaev | July 30, 2009, 1:44 am
  12. Wait…which one is Britney?

Posted by Zashkaser | August 5, 2009, 12:13 pm
  13. Interesting site, but much advertisments on him. Shall read as subscription, rss.

Posted by LenaShopogolik | August 5, 2009, 12:28 pm
  14. This is an excellent review.

Posted by Vivalkakira | August 7, 2009, 2:06 am
  15. The best information i have found exactly here. Keep going Thank you

Posted by VitalikGromovss | August 8, 2009, 5:34 am
  16. Woman Exercise,question responsibility achieve account put corner produce bed specific client attack link apart marry please quality blood dog retain eat tree beside facility household principle insist contribute arise empty increase sign need murder address aye remove room occur adult deal noise incident order achieve associate son network scientist court husband assembly elsewhere whole these team properly sell dark only early present meal labour foreign attack walk turn vote beyond they visitor illustrate proportion bind surface visit iron scale secretary once those whose shake recognize seat support compare information try cell training

Posted by hotels vergleichen in tuerkei | February 12, 2010, 4:42 am
  17. Thanks for writing, I very much liked

Posted by tictPymnImica | March 7, 2010, 8:30 am
  18. ……….

good, your http://www.alljewishlinks.com web site theme is definitely great, I am hunting for a new template for my personal blog, I like yours, now I am going to go seek the very same design!…

Posted by hrefdg | October 19, 2010, 11:45 pm
  19. I’m anxious to test this! Thank You!

Posted by Easy Recipes | November 9, 2010, 8:56 pm
  20. Good post, but it would be better if in future you can share more about this topic. Keep posting.

Posted by Kelly Raymond | November 9, 2010, 9:38 pm
  21. Βe sure you buy the correct textbook; get
    the ISBΝ (а 10or 13 digit number on the bacck of
    book) online. I found out the hard wayy that I waѕ
    allergic to some oor many of the chemicals in regular mascara.
    This is because most computerѕ are largely composed of the same paгts.

my web-site – computer security systems

Posted by computer security systems | December 10, 2013, 12:36 am